User Directory Connector (UDC) with ODBC facilitates fetching up of user information from database into Qlik server. The information obtained is useful to provide secure/select credentials for the users based upon their access privileges.
The key elements that you will need are going to be:
- A user table
- An attributes table
- Access to the Database
- In order to connect to the UDC with ODBC we need to install a Microsoft Access Database Engine (64-bit as qlik is 64-bit product)
- We can get it from the following link https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/0/260AA63A-A275-4A92-950D-CE20B490D0B9/AccessRuntime_X64.exe
- After Successful installation we get to see the available ODBC drivers
- Create a new connection as shown in the following table i.e, Select System DSN then ADD then select the desired database from the available Database drivers then Finish
Then it will redirect to the following window
- Give the desired Data source name in the Data Source Name field
- Give the description of the data in the Description field
- Select the data file from Select workbook button then OK
- So far, we have created a data source connection in the Microsoft Access Database Engine, now we have to use this connection in the Qlik to fetch the Data
Once those elements are in place, you are ready to setup the UDC.
- Go into QMC > User Directory Connectors
It redirects to the following window
Select Create New > Data source connection type (here Excel via ODBC) and create a new connection
- Specify a name to the UDC; this is arbitrary
- Uncheck "Sync user data for existing users" option on first access, then keep in sync if you want to pull in new users. If this is checked then you will only sync in users who currently already exist in the Users section of the QMC
- Specify a User directory name; this is arbitrary but cannot contain spaces
- In the connection string column give the path of the fie along with its name and extension too then Apply
- if everything goes right it shows successfully added or else sometimes it shows the error The User Director (UDC) is not configured, because the following error occurred: Exception when trying to connect to Data Source,edit the connection string in the user directory connector configuration " Here we need to check the sheet names and connection string and extension of the file.
If you encounter further problems then the best log for troubleshooting will be the UserManagement Repository log found in C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Log\Repository\Trace\.